Rent the Runway MAJOR Program Update Today!
Make Your Pinterest Closet a Reality with Even More Options from Rent the Runway
If you're a Rent the Runway subscriber you received an email this morning (well now yesterday, thanks to Squarespace) with details about some major changes to their most well-known subscription services. If you're dramatic like me, you thought they were emailing you to tell you they were canceling the service. At which point, I ALMOST PEED MYSELF. Once I realized that wasn't the case, I took a deep breath and was able to keep living my best borrowed life.
However, we're going to give you a quick recap of what changes are in effect and how you can still maximize your RTR experience.
Changes in a Nutshell
1. Style Pass is Going Away.
2. Unlimited members can now select 4 pieces at a time instead of just 3.
3. RTR Update - New monthly subscription for $89 a month. Rent 4 pieces at time. Keep as long as you'd like, but once you send them back they are back until your following monthly shipment.
For more detailed information about all of the plans, click here.
You can also read a great CNBC article/watch a video about the program updated here.
What's In It for You?
1. If you are a current Style Pass member, you'll have to return to normal rentals or upgrade your plan. I have yet to browse the RTR Update plan so if it includes the same items, it will really be a great deal. The benefit I enjoyed of Style Pass over Unlimited is that you could borrow items at a reduced price that are not part of the Unlimited program.
2. If you're already an Unlimited member, you were "grandmothered" into the plan and will continue to pay $139 as opposed to $159 a month AND get a 4th item. JACKPOT!
3. Update will allow you to rent items to either utilize as high end staple pieces or to bring in fun, trendy items to punch up your everyday wear. The real benefit of this plan is the fact it is perfect for wedding weekends, vacations, etc. You can switch up a wardrobe for a special event weekend without all of the massive costs.
What I am super loving about these changes is the brand campaign behind it. For the first time ever, they are launching a brand awareness campaign. The commercials feature women utilizing their closets for fun activities instead of just storing clothes. They are pretty clever.
I love the idea behind it but know I won't ever totally clear out my closet to just use RTR. BUT it is a feasible alternative if you live in one of the larger cities where they actually have brick and mortar locations.
To see some of those ads on IG, click here.
My Look for Less
To score this Veda jacket for yourself, click here.
This black Jayne classic moto style jacket is AH-MAH-ZING. It's the second VEDA jacket I've borrowed from Rent the Runway and they never disappoint. Veda is such high quality that I always consider outright buying it. BUT THEN I REMEMBER I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND IT'S HOTTER THAN TWO RATS IN A WOOL SOCK BEHIND A DRYER 330 days a year, so what's the point? I just rent the Veda jackets for the few days out of the year when it may be almost cool enough to wear it OR to simply sweat to death in style. ;-)
I spent half my morning weighing these changes in my mind, because clearly that was an important life choice to make yesterday morning...but I think it is going to be a great change.
Do you use Rent the Runway? If so, what are your thoughts? Leave them in the comments below!